Friday, August 3, 2012

Beautiful Alaska

I had already used half of my four weeks time, didn't have the slightest idea on planning remaining time frame, how Fairbanks or the rest of Alaska or my return home was going to be.  From Chicken the choice was to go to Fairbanks and then either North to Arctic Circle or head down to Anchorage and Seward passing by Denali national park, in the remaining two weeks time I had to be back in New York. Getting thumbs up from drivers in Fairbanks for my New York license plate, confirmed the realization of my dream. I had ordered ahead in Anchorage a rear tire and was prepared to spend a day there getting it replaced along with a needed oil change. So I decided to defer the trip to Arctic circle for another time, and instead go see more of the South Alaska, and Kenai peninsula which I had heard so much about it’s beauty.

Heading to Fairbanks

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Mr. Wei in action

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

 

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

You MUST stop at Fast Eddy’s, the food and service are top quality

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The Alcan ends here

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

(You can click on any of images media and that will take you to the Gallery with much more)

After camping in Fairbanks, and again not getting much sleep as usual, I was suddenly awaken by a team of Colombians parking their colorful mobile food vending vehicle, yelling directions in Spanish for the driver who was backing it in the space next to my tent. After I got out of my tent to see what was all of this about, we engaged in conversation and I mentioned maybe one day I would ride there to see their country by motorcycle. Their remarks were that I should be allot more careful going there “on that motorcycle” pointing admiratively to my loaded yellow BMW. Seems living in Northern American continent one easily forgets that many other places on Earth are not so rich and traveler’s safety from theft can be sometimes a concern. By contrast in 5this trip, using common sense, not one time did I feel reasons for concerns during my entire trip, especially after getting past the anxiety of first few wilderness camping days. And although I kept the bear spray and camping knife close, after a while I realized they were simply for my peace of mind rather than real protection if that case ever came.

Back on the road, heading to Denali:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

 

 

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Here I met a father and son riding from Texas on KLR and GS 800, we helped taking each other’s pictures.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment